Combat

Mellekai

Combat

Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:44 am

This is a thread to discuss all Combat related.

Wearegonnadie

Re: Combat

Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:38 am

Hi, What about large creatures?. I play 4 or 5 sessions in my table and creatures of 4t or 5t seems weak, because it has few CP and players use all his CP to defend against his attacks, while his companions attack and damage the enemy. Yesterday a Ligurm only successfully attacks 1 time in 12 rounds of combat, because of this. I agree a large creature is slower, but it's true that parrying the bite of a 5t creature and simply avoid all damage is ridiculous. Yo can not parry the hammer of a jotum with your shield and not see your arm and shoulder broken. What do you think about this?

tmar

Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:12 pm

Well, when I run large monsters, I like to have their size matter and have the following house-rule:

It's hard to parry the blows of large creatures and they ruin armor fast. The creature size represents the difficulty of the parry and the damage armor sustains as well. In other words, if a player character spends 20 CP to parry the blow of a creature that is size 4t, the parry would only be successful if the player characters rolls 5 or less (20/4). This also applies to armor, if a player character takes damage from a large creature, the damage to the armor is not just 1, but the same as the creature size, or 4 in this case.

I've found, using this house-rule, that players think twice about attacking large monsters, because the monsters destroy their armor/weapons/shields and are actually very dangerous, despite being slow combatants. Of course, the player characters should have access to more CP to make their attacks (according to Jorgi's p. 8-9) and it is harder for large monsters to hit smaller creatures, but still, their damage output and this rule makes combating the larger foes of Trudvang a bit more challenging.

Hamurai

Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:05 pm

Interesting house rule! Thanks for sharing!

Another thing I've been doing in other games is, I only allow evading as a useful defense. As you said, most huge monsters are able to crush anything in their way and a simple raised shield or club won't stop them. So either evade the blow or take the damage.

Wearegonnadie

Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:12 pm

Perhaps I can use some g house rule like unarmed parrying. If you successfully defend with your shield / weapon (that causes 1d10 of damage) an attack that causes 2d10... The player take 1d10 of damage. Probably the character could choose:
1) Recieve 1d10 of damage. (you still takes some damage)
2) The wooden weapon takes the complete damage, 1d10, not only 1 point (your shield, spear or stuff probably breaks quickly)
3) Roll the 1d10 damage and if is superior than the iron weapon damage protection, the defender loose his weapon (your sword fly from your hand)

If the attacker causes 3d10... A successfully parrying only decreases - 1d and rolls 2d10.
Sorry, my English... Is bad,i know, but believe you can understand me.

Råttfångaren

Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:20 pm

When I play, I always let all of the damage that exceeded the PV do damage to the weapon, i.e. if someone parries with a sword that has PV/BV 8/80, and the rolled damage is 14, the sword's BV is lowered by 4, not 1. This makes shields and higher PV matter a lot more, and the group's smith gets a much more important role, maybe even on par with the ranger and the healer. It also means that large creatures will quickly smash brittle weapons and shields, giving a greater sense of urgency during the battle in my opinion. Some may, of course, find this tedious however, but if you are like me and like the attrition mechanics, it works pretty well.
There may be misunderstandings and errors in the transcriptions

Wearegonnadie

Mon May 25, 2020 3:32 pm

Hi Folks,
can i found somewhere a rule that allows a player to increase the OR of his attack?
1d10 (OR10) against a Protection Value of 5 or 6 is really bored. It's hard seriously hurt a npc and combats arr sometimes too long