Campaign Play

Mellekai

Campaign Play

Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:43 am

This is a thread to discuss all Campaign Play related.

P4R4

Re: Campaign Play

Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:23 pm

Hi,

Regarding Snowsaga:
How did Blodughadda convince the Hrim Trolls to fight with him? See page 118 2nd column: "a plan for how they intend to win the trust of the Hrim Trolls."
I can't find more information on this.

Cheers,
P4R4

Wydram the Magician

Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:52 pm

It is not known what exact method he used to buy the loyalty of the Hrim Trolls as stated in the books as far as I am aware. But it would be fair enough to say that he did so using a promise of larger hunting grounds for the Hrim Trolls to carve out once the battle is done. As they are right now pressed by the Wildfolks. Perhaps they was promised everything east of their own land all the way to the coast?

Psykotikp

Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:47 am

Wildheart questions: when the books says that something has a trail to the answer to a secret, how exactly is that played out? I see that some poems and such can transport players to a certain place; are they all used that way? Or should I just have them walk around and come upon locations?

I think I'm just having trouble figuring out how to get them from A to B, without getting them there too quickly.

Hamurai

Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:25 am

The first time I played it, our DM had us wander the woods from one "scene" to the next randomly. We were completely lost and the order we visited the places didn't help us understanding what's going on at all, so we pretty much ignored essential stuff and at some point got killed because of another player's stupidity and boredom.

I'd recommend having the players just announce the wish to leave a location and after some wandering they'll come upon the next. Not sure how it's actually written in the book, but you might want to allow them a little navigation because unless they're lucky, they'll never visit some places and come upon others several times.
That's what happened in my first play and it was frustrating. We had visited 5 or 6 places before even knowing how the adventure was supposed to be won (gather clues), and we all felt that was unnecessary - we would have had more fun if we had known in advance that we were lost and that we needed clues to get out again.
So my advice would be here, let one of the first encounters be one of those which can tell the players what they have to do in the woods.