Short Stories

KjetilKverndokken

Short Stories

Mon May 18, 2020 4:42 pm

Maybe a thread to paste in some short stories written by gamers set in Trudvang.

Here are three I made under the Trudvang Legends Kickstarter....

---

"Lo, who goes there?" Even had a quiver in his voice. He strained his eyes looking into the forest from his campsite. But nothing. No sound and no movement beyond his goatherd. But he swore he heard a voice.
He sat himself down again on his wool blanket. It was not cold, but the moist night air drained his warmt. He felt like he sat beside a gate to Dimheim. That thought made him shiver into his bones.

Then he saw movement in the corner of his eyes. Even turned his head but could still see nothing. But he raised his staff and tried with his bravest voice. "I … I am armed I tell you. You don't want to come here". But it sounded flat and pathetic. Even was no warrior. Not a weakling, but muscles did not mean a warrior or even bravery.
"Sweet boy, I am not here to scare you or fight you". A voice like sweet heather honey hit him. A girl, perhaps a few years older approached him. Dressed in fine gray linen, braided hair of golden straws.
"Who are you, what are you doing here in the outskirts of the woods, at night?" He loosened his grip on the staff but still did not let go. She fixed her eyes on him and smiled gently.
"My name is Goldglitter, and if you are able, I need some help. My horse is trapped in a bog just a few stone throws inside the forest. Can you help me pull him out so I can ride home?" Even relaxed. How could he refuse. How could he let a girl like her be trapped in the forest, alone?
"I'll … I'll help." He said, strained. And she smiled. Together they walked into the forest.
The flames from the campfire casting long shadows after them, one of Even and one of big hunched creature with massive hair and a cows tail. And they disappeared inside the woods… the forest of Wildheart . . .

The small village cowered before the Stormikjalt, what the people of the Stormlands calls their dimwalker. Harsh followers of their religion of Gerbanis.
"You shall not cower from anyone but Stormi! The creatures of the forest are nothing, nothing compared to you, to us, to him!" The Stormikjalt shouted the words so gobbles of spit flew out of his mouth and his forehead were strained with beads of sweat. One of the dwellers approached him, hat in hand.
"But wise one, voice of the storm. We are few, none here are warriors. We have but a fee that can use the bow and …". The sound of the metal staff cracking against his head waked the crowd up like thunder in their midst.
"That is the words of a fool and a coward! We are Stormlanders! Hardened in this harsh lands by Stormi. And we shall not fear any of the woods creatures!" He roared out the word as the dweller lay before him. Blood seeping out from a cut on his head. Whimpering. And the people started to back away, fright in their eyes.
"Yes, yes. Feel the fear of Stormi,but also feel his strenght! Gather your weapons. For we shall go on a hunt for the beast!" But he scowled. The villagers begun to scream and run? That's not the response he had in mind. They should be filled with vigour and Stormis anger. And then he heard it. And turned around.
Behind the Stormikjalt a massiv form appeared. A beast that had the height of at least for grown men up to it's shoulder. Tusks jutting out of its big mouth, longer than a man. Cold radiating out of it like the coldest night in winter. It grabbed the Stormikjalt in one big hand, and before the dimwalker could protest, scream or call upon divine favours, he took a bite. The crunch of bone and sinew mixed with the slurping sound of saliva. All dripping down his white braided fur.

The Hrimtroll threw away the rest. The old man had a bad taste in him. But it mattered not. This village had juicer and younger morsels than him. He went into the village and the screaming started. . .

"What a bloody bother." Gudmund muttered to himself. The old dwarf bent over with a creak from his backside and picked up the firewood. One at a time until it was stacked nicely in his arms again.

His eyes were not as it used to, the world had become grey and anything beyond arm's reach had become muddy to look at. But Gudmund continued on nevertheless. His work had to go on regardless of his physical fragilities.

He went into his hut and put some of the wood into the fire in his furnace. Fueling the roaring heat even more. And started pumping the flames with his bellows. As the heat reached a peak, he put the blade in. Only long enough so the metal did not start to burn and become brittle instead of soft and malleable.
When it was red hot and right before the sparks would start he took it out of the heat and started to hammer rhythmically, forming the metal. Heating it up again, cooling it down, hammering it. So he kept on. Until the sound of music filled the room, music from a familiar instrument. Gudmund turned around smiling. His mouth a big smile of yellow theeth.

"Thorvald, you are a sight for sore eyes and your tagelharpa sweet music for old ears". There was tear in the dwarfs eyes.
"You mean to say you can see me with those old clouded eyes of your". The middle-aged, balding man jabbed at Gudmund.
"Well, at spit in your eyes to Thorvald. At least I can smell you, you filthy whoreson of a hag!" And with that they gave each other a warm embrace.
"So what brings you to this old fart of a dwarf?" Gudmund said. Thorvalds smile faded and he lay a small runestone on the table. "Have you ever seen its like before?" Thorvald said.
The dwarf picked it up and traced his fingers over the grey stone. His eyes widening.
"Sons and daughters, followers of faith.proud guardians, heroes of light. Sprung from divinity, with honour and mighty strength...." the dwarf sat down "So it is true… Blodughadda is moving about again.. the icequeen has awakened…" Gudmund looked at Thorvald and he responded softly and faintly. "I am afraid so my old friend".
Gudmund got out of his chair and grabbed his sack and hammer.
"Well then, let's find the others!"

Mellekai

Re: Short Stories

Mon May 18, 2020 4:50 pm

That is a really good idea. Thank you for sharing them with us.
I will give it a good look.

Mellekai

Mon May 18, 2020 4:53 pm

We will have a dedicated forum for the Trudvang Legends game here in the forum when the game will be in the hands of the backers!

Mellekai

Mon May 18, 2020 4:56 pm

I love the first one with Goldglitter. Great how you have incorporated the inner struggle of the man.

Mellekai

Mon May 18, 2020 5:02 pm

The second one with the hrimtroll got quite an interesting twist due to the change of perspective.

Mellekai

Mon May 18, 2020 5:11 pm

The short about Gudmund is truly wonderful.

You have captured that dwarf skillfully, and with it the whole situation. That is great stuff!

KjetilKverndokken

Mon May 18, 2020 5:17 pm

Audio of the first story. The rest will follow.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BxOhu4 ... p=drivesdk

Mellekai

Mon May 18, 2020 5:33 pm

Man, that is quite cool! Wonderful to hear your voice.

Råttfångaren

Tue May 19, 2020 10:19 am

Really cool! would love to hear more!
There may be misunderstandings and errors in the transcriptions

Mellekai

Tue May 19, 2020 10:30 am

Yes, I hope he continues the stories soon or show us more of his writings