Language of weapon names

claes

Language of weapon names

Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:27 am

In the Game Master Guide the weapon names are written in what I suppose is a how the Trudvang people refers to the weapons. Which Trudvang language is it? Vrok? I believe it's real world Icelanding but it would be interesting to know which Trudvang language it corresponds to.

I also think that the language of the elves is the real world Finnish. Would you agree?

Råttfångaren

Re: Language of weapon names

Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:56 am

I think you are right, the old adventure 'Vattnaskymmel' specifically used Icelandic for Old Vrok and Finnish for Eika/Elvish. I would guess that there is also a lot of pseudo-Icelandic and pseudo-Finnish mixed into the terms haha :)
There may be misunderstandings and errors in the transcriptions

tmar

Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:35 pm

The weapon names are probably related to Iceland and Faroese and meant to sound similar but this is at least not Icelandic, e.g. hammer in Trudvang is hammri but in Icelandic it is hamar, axi in Trudvang but öxi in Icelandic. In ancient Norse (norræn tunga) which was spoken in Scandinavia during the Viking age, the word for hammer was hamarr and the word for axe was öx or ax, so perhaps the designers were creating names that were similar to these old words, but still unique to Trudvang. :)

claes

Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:42 pm

Cool! Thanks for the info. Do you think it is sopposed to be Vrok?