Final (?) PDFs have a bunch of errors

"However, such as with our actual world, the expanses of the game multiverse will always have frontiers and unexplored territories. This fact, indeed, is what makes the AD&D game system so wonderful and appealing."
— Gary Gygax, Unearthed Arcana, May 1985

Wanderers of the multiverse be welcome in this hall that has been prepared for you by RiotMinds.
You may find shelter here, plenty of mead and a plate full of the finest meats, poultry and wild fowl. Feel free to sit down and listen to the sung.
A sung about Trudvang, the home of heroes, wurms and trolls. And if you are so inclined do not hesitate and tell us of your journeys and heroic deeds because under this roof no voice will be unheard and no sung will be forgotten.
Be welcome in Trudvang Adventures 5E!
Hamurai

Final (?) PDFs have a bunch of errors

Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:43 pm

Since the physical books are about to arrive soon, I decided to give the PDFs a quick read-through - at least on the parts which differ from D&D 5E, which our group has played for years now. We're all looking forward to TA 5E and are eager to jump into the action.

I must say I was quite disappointed to see many errors in the texts - missing letters or entire words, sub-entries in the index of the Hero Companion which don't seem to belong there (under Camping), the headings in the spell books all speak of "prayers" (the overview table mentions 1st-level spells, for example, in the back of the booklet it's always "prayers"). (Edit: Those are corrected in the print version).
It's a good idea to reprint the basic 5E rules for non-D&D5-veterans, omitting the rules for encumbrance (edit: found them, see below post), armour penalties and weapon properties looks like a major oversight - or can anyone tell me where they are, I've checked several places in both books? It's all in the 5E SRD, sure, but that means you need another document at the table if you're just learning the 5E rules.

I expect all these things to show up in the finished books, too, which once again makes me wonder if I should back the next project or not. After several kickstarters (from different companies) with issues in the print versions I'm more and more inclined to say I'd rather wait on the second or 3rd printing, where at least typos might be fixed.

I still look forward to play, though. I love the setting and hope to venture there more often with my group, now that that's possible with their beloved 5E rules.
Last edited by Hamurai on Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hamurai

Re: Final (?) PDFs have a bunch of errors

Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:08 pm

I received the books today and to my surprise some of these errors have been corrected before printing. That makes me wonder now, why don't we have access to the latest PDFs? Are they not updated on DriveThruRPG?

Mellekai

Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:49 pm

The files will be updated soon.

As always, cheers for your posts and for bringing this up. :)

Hamurai

Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:58 pm

Thanks, good to know! :)

Also, I found the rules for armour encumbrance - they're in the respective armour descriptions. I was expecting a general rule somewhere. General encumbrance is listed in the Strength attribute description. Again, I was expecting a general heading Encumbrance somewhere else.

The weapon properties are missing though.

Mellekai

Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:53 am

The files on DriveThruRPG were updated on January the 6th as promised.

tmar

Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:15 am

Hamurai wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:58 pm
Thanks, good to know! :)

Also, I found the rules for armour encumbrance - they're in the respective armour descriptions. I was expecting a general rule somewhere. General encumbrance is listed in the Strength attribute description. Again, I was expecting a general heading Encumbrance somewhere else.

The weapon properties are missing though.
See p. 151 in Hero Companion for encumbrance.

Hamurai

Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:10 am

Thanks for pointing me there! When I was searching the term, it didn't come up when I posted. But I stand corrected, it's there. I'd never have expected it in the Traveling section, though.

Hamurai

Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:12 am

Mellekai wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:53 am
The files on DriveThruRPG were updated on January the 6th as promised.
Thanks, I got them right away :)