Riotonline or other VTT

edberg88

Riotonline or other VTT

Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:31 am

Hi, didn't really know where to start this thread, but here goes :P
This is maybe more a question for Riotminds, is/will there be a update to the Riotonline service or at least realese of your other books to the service?
Or is ther maybe plans to realese it on other VTT services like Roll20 & FG?

Btw, loving the look of Muspelheim and really excited for the Elves book :)

Hamurai

Re: Riotonline or other VTT

Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:59 am

Don't expect too much.

Riotonline has been left to rot since it opened after the TC kickstarter. There was no update and no support, not on forums or any other way I tried.

I had been really excited about it and was looking forward to it, but the last time I tried (about half a year ago, I guess), not even character creation worked correctly.

Wydram the Magician

Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:51 pm

I am still in the planning phase and real life has me occupied. But I for one have been using a lot of VTT and began discussing with a friend how we could modify it for Trudvang. My future campaign hinges on that program namely.

The Riotonline service would need some updates yes with the newer books, but personally I get all mine these days through DriveThruRPG which seems like a very reliable company. There are a lot of cool virtual tabletop programs in development and working through those would be my suggestion with the constant support they have in most languages. But the downside is as mentioned earlier, that there is a lack of a dedicated one that has been put up for use.

And as with VTT, that is what I will use in the future, but I won't be able to make the coding for that, but I have seen the power of the program in general and I am quite happy with it for games like DND for which it was made. Someone on their discord support chat will most likely be willing to help create your own rpg system.

Jarclan

Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:23 pm

I'm making it my summer project to create Trudvang Chronicles ruleset Fantasy Grounds. (For personal use)

I've laid out a developpement plan to create the basic ruleset, and then have every book and adventure as seperate modules.

Once I make some headway, I'll try to reach out to Riotminds, see if they'd allow me to share it. Because of copyrights, I won't be able to distribute it without their permission. And since I'm doing this as a fun summer project, I can't make any commitments as far as future support, so they might not want to take the chance to end up with a Riotonline 2.0 in the form of an abandonned Fantasy Grounds ruleset.

edberg88

Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:36 am

That would be awsome, hopefully riotminds get back to you and give you Stormis blessing ;)

And some future news regarding VTT possibilities for Trudvang Chronicles :D

Jarclan

Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:50 pm

I'm not hopeful. Allowing me to share this has only downsides for them.

If they let me share just the ruleset, then it is basically a fancy character creator that you have to buy the basic Fantasy grounds license.

If they let me share the books as modules, then it lets anyone who gets it play without paying Riotminds their dues.

If they offer to officially license it, then it is a giant headache with Fantasy Grounds to be an authorized license. On top of that, since I'm doing this as a fun, free time project, then they won't have someone to provide support and updates, and it would probably get abandonned the same way as Riot Online did.

I'm still gonna code the whole thing, using the books I own, for my own use. However, since I won't share without their permission, and there are significant downsides to them letting me share it, I don't see how it would be a good business decision for them to allow it.

edberg88

Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:25 am

How is it going with the NEW RiotOnline tool that they are working on?
Anything new to share with us Riotminds?

Looking forward for the update of it :)