Evade

Björn Ironside

Evade

Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:13 pm

Hello everyone. I'm Italian, so forgive me if my English is not perfect.

My first question is about Evade:

" “This action is an alternative to Parry, and can be used to avoid melee attacks, certain traps and special attacks by creatures, but not ranged attacks. Unlike Parry, no other action can be performed while Evading.
A single melee attack can be evaded by rolling on the Agility skill. The Battle Maneuver discipline and the Evade specialty adds to the SV but are not a requirement. Levels in the Evade specialty allow multiple Evade attempts (see the Player’s Handbook). A character only needs to attempt to evade attacks that have already successfully rolled to hit.”"

I put in bold the part that bothers me. As an ex-martial artist I'm used to think of evasion as a good manouver that can be performed in a fight. Just like a parry.
So, considering a real fight, I know it is equally possible to parry and counter-attack or evade while attacking.
Transposing this it in game terms, it should be a risky manouver to use if you have already spent all your CP in attack or parries.
While playing with my friends, we have been using it that way: you can use evade even if you have already parried or attacked during the round, and even after evading you can still use attack and parries if you have remainging CP.
If I were to go with the more literal interpretation of the rules, it seems that if I have used evade during the round I can do no other attack or parry, which seems to be pretty useless. If this interpretation is correct, I have a follow up question: in what kind of scenario would it be preferable to use evade?

Råttfångaren

Re: Evade

Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:57 pm

hi!
First, you should absolutely play with your own version of evade if you think that it is more realistic and/or fun. However, the rule does indeed say that you can't do anything else while evading. My own interpretation of this is that evading is a more dedicated action (such as jumping out of range etc.) rather than the usual dodges and adjustments in position one might make during a fight (although how you interpret the action is really up to you). Personally, I also think that the design decision is about balancing the action so that a character can't avoid to many attacks.

As for the use of the speciality I would agree that it seems pretty limited at first, however, there are a few situations when evade is required or preferred. Several spells, for example, can't be parried but can be evaded and attacks from creatures that deal massive damage can easily break your equipment if you choose to parry them (making evasion preferable).
There may be misunderstandings and errors in the transcriptions

Hamurai

Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:15 am

I agree that you should use your house rule if your entire group enjoys it.

The official rules state that a combat round is "roughly five seconds long" (GM Guide p.39), so when you consider that the Evade Attack action means you jump out of the way of an attack (out of weapon's reach) and you can do that for several attacks per round (equal to your Evade specialty), I'd say it makes sense that you cannot attack in the same round.

Maybe a compromise might be a good house rule:

New Combat Action: Dodge
Characters with the Evade specialty can try to dodge a single melee attack each round (opposed to the Evade Attack action which allows to evade several attacks depending on the Evade specialty).
Dodging works exactly as the Evade Attack action: To dodge a melee attack you make an Agility Skill roll with Battle Maneuver and Evade, modified by the attacker's roll. An attempt only needs to be made to dodge an attack that has already successfully rolled to hit.

Björn Ironside

Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:39 pm

New Combat Action: Dodge
Characters with the Evade specialty can try to dodge a single melee attack each round (opposed to the Evade Attack action which allows to evade several attacks depending on the Evade specialty).
Dodging works exactly as the Evade Attack action: To dodge a melee attack you make an Agility Skill roll with Battle Maneuver and Evade, modified by the attacker's roll. An attempt only needs to be made to dodge an attack that has already successfully rolled to hit.
This is a nice point to start, thanks. Maybe I'll try to go with a shared number of maximum uses. If you Dodge you use the old evade rule and can still do stuff in an action round, if you evade you can use the new one (which make evade easier imho) but need to forfeit the round. Dodge can be for the reposition in melee, evade can be for evading spells and big monster's attacks that need a lot of effort and take a lot of space on the battlefield.