Combat Points... I'm confused...

LeantToast

Combat Points... I'm confused...

Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:40 pm

Hey guys!

I've searched all over the internet for this and can't find an answer...

It's regarding combat points...

It seems that the ONLY way to get combat points is to have levels in the fighting skill....

So that means, if you don't have levels in fighting skill, you can't move during combat? Are Dimwalkers and Vitner Weavers then required to also be fighters so that they can do anything during combat?

Thanks

Råttfångaren

Re: Combat Points... I'm confused...

Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:05 pm

Hi!
Yes, the only real way to get combat points is through investing points in the Fighting skill (there are also ways to get temporary CP through weapons enchantments etc.) There are only two ways to move in combat: through spending combat points or by having the combat movement speciality. Thus, all characters should definitely invest a bit in Fighting. A SV 1 in any skill represents having pretty much no capability to act in that sphere. I understand that it might seem weird at first (as it isn't the first time I've seen the question) but for characters that just want to be able to move, it is a very small investment (9 creation points for 2m per round).
Hope this answers your questions!
There may be misunderstandings and errors in the transcriptions

LeantToast

Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:26 am

Great! Thanks for the clarification...

I have another question/clarification.

Combat points are derived from fighting skill (and related disciplines, specialties etc)

But also your SV for a weapon attack seems to be based on how many combat points I spend..

So could I potentially have a situation where my skill value for attacking with a one handed weapon is a total of 14 (Skill + Discipline + Specialization per hand)

But, when I attack, if I have the combat points I could potentially put 20 combat points into the attack and roll vs 20 (instead of my actual SV of 14) Is that correct?

Råttfångaren

Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:28 am

Yes, you don't roll directly on your combat skill but rather spend combat points to receive a SV to roll under. As you said, you can get a SV 20 on your attack (however a 20 is always a failure). As you've probably noticed, your character can actually get quite a bit more combat points than 20 which increases their combat capabilities drastically as they can attack and defend several times each round, move around and attack etc. :)
There may be misunderstandings and errors in the transcriptions