Parrying larger creature's attacks

Red Castle

Parrying larger creature's attacks

Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:49 am

I would love to have your opinion on this subject, since my experince with the game system is still pretty limited.

My impression is that there is no drawback to parry a larger size creature, it's not harder. And since larger creature cannot attack as often as smaller ones, it can be pretty easy for the players to just put all their points in their parry the round they get attacked. But I also understand that they hit so hard that there must be a way for the players to avoid the hit.

So, I was thinking to maybe put a penality to the SV per equal to the difference in size of the two creatures... so let's say a size 8T creature attack a size 1T creature (like say a player character :P), the size 1T creature would have a -7SV penalty to his parry roll, so if he puts 15 points in his parry, he would only succeed if he gets a 8 or less.

Does it makes sense? Is it too much? Am I missing something?

I want my players to be afraid of fighting larger creature, but I also want them to stand a chance if they still decide to fight.

Mellekai

Re: Parrying larger creature's attacks

Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:34 am

Hi @Red Castle and be very welcome in our midsts. :)

The fight against larger creatures is quite different given their slower actions and the often heighten fear factor. The fear factor is what cripples a party of warriors often the most.

But with regard to your specific thoughts about parrying I think that this fighting action comes with its own setback. I have experienced that warriors tend to evade a successful blow more often.
With a parry all damage points that are dealt in excess of the PV of the weapon or shield are dealt to the BV of the item itself. And in a fight against a large creature that deals often 2 d10 or more of damage points this can ruin your shield, weapon or armor quickly.
If you are out in the wild there are good chances that you lack resources or abilities to repair or replace your equipment. A wound heals by itself, slowly, but it heals. A broken shield stays broken untill the next blow breaks it.

Red Castle

Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:35 pm

Regarding damage to shield and weapons during a parry, rules seems to indicate that the shield/weapon only take one breach damage regardless of excess of damage of the attack...

Mellekai

Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:52 pm

That is correct if you use the old rule-set. That rule-set created quite some durable weapons and shields.
But there are some fine written errata by Luca that you can find in this forum that rectify that situation.
Have a closer look at the combat example.

The new versions of the GM Guide and Players Handbook will have the errata corrected.
You can preorder them from the RiotMinds webshop with a discount at the moment:
https://riotminds.se/product-category/t ... hronicles/

Red Castle

Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:44 pm

Ah thanks! Didn't knew that there was some errata! Thanks for pointing them out!