Armour durability

andywo12

Armour durability

Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:03 am

Hi I can understand why there was a need to change the rules on damage to armour as under the original rules the reduction to the BV was far to little being only 1 point at at time but with the errata on damage to armour it seems to have gone the other way with armour wearing out too quickly and in some cases not even lasting a encounter.

I am referring more to the lighter armours e.g hardened leather , fur and leather etc with a BV of 30 or less .

I have run a few encounters set in the stormlands while learning the rules and nearly every time the armour has been completely destroyed resulting with the character having no armour afterwards which seems something harsh

Would appreciate advice from someone was has more experience as to what they suggest as a solution or have they encountered the same problem

Andy

Råttfångaren

Re: Armour durability

Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:21 pm

Personally I like it a lot as armour work a lot more dynamic (you'll need to switch and/or repair armour a lot more often). I don't think players should place too much trust in weaker armours as they are a secondary defense (the first being parries), and as they don't protect a lot to begin with (meaning that losing them won't change their chances a lot). From my own experience as a player, I thought that my armour and shield being damaged enhanced the experience as I felt that it raised the stakes even in minor battles. In the end it also made me think a lot more about the armour and appreciate it more in an immersive way (after all if a leather armour breaks, it means my character would have most likely died without it).

A solution is of course to have a character with the handicraft discipline (and its specialities) so that armour can be repaired between fights. However, just like the slow healing process of the system, I think armour damage is something that functions in a way to discourage choosing violent options to often when playing.

That's my thoughts on the matter anyway
There may be misunderstandings and errors in the transcriptions

Luca Cherstich

Re: Armour durability

Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:47 am

andywo12 wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:03 am
Hi I can understand why there was a need to change the rules on damage to armour as under the original rules the reduction to the BV was far to little being only 1 point at at time but with the errata on damage to armour it seems to have gone the other way with armour wearing out too quickly and in some cases not even lasting a encounter.

I am referring more to the lighter armours e.g hardened leather , fur and leather etc with a BV of 30 or less .

I have run a few encounters set in the stormlands while learning the rules and nearly every time the armour has been completely destroyed resulting with the character having no armour afterwards which seems something harsh

Would appreciate advice from someone was has more experience as to what they suggest as a solution or have they encountered the same problem

Andy
Please, check Game Master's Guide page 79.
Fixing and Repairing armors in this game is relatively easy.
In one hour you can fix a decent amout of BV, if you have enough levels of the required Care Specialty.
You can even make a house rule about fur and fabric armor (unlike metal armors) do not requiring a workshop, therefore no penalty for the size of your craft box.

This is not D&D and I feel that every decent fighter should have some Care skill specialties, just to represent how they take care of their equipment between a fight and the other.
Think about it: most player characters spend a lot of time in the wilderness, trying to survive.
That a warrior spends some nightime by campfire sewing and repairing a fur armor just adds some "character" to the Trudvang experience.