Differences between Races Question

Logiwurm

Differences between Races Question

Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:44 am

My group has decided to try Trudvang, are looking through the character creation, and have a query. I think it's brilliant that character choice is more open than in D&D (i.e. your race doesn't force you into a certain class/archetype), but there are still differences in body points and movement and there does not seem to be any consequent bonus/penalty to offset these different stats. For example, to all extents and purposes an Ogro is identical to a human except the Ogro has more Body Points and more Movement. As such, the Ogro will always be better than a human. The lore suggests that Ogros are low intelligence, but there is nothing stopping an Ogro taking +4 intelligence. Is this correct? Are there any disadvantages that an Ogro faces to balance the improved health and speed? We were wondering whether we were missing anything elsewhere in the rules, such as maybe being harder to travel through dense forest or an easier target in combat, but we cannot find anything (there are target size attack modifiers, but Ogros aren't different enough in size to humans to make a difference).

Dwarfs are slightly different, because they get 10m normal vision in low light for their low body points and speed, but there is still the question as to why someone would take a Buratja over a Borjornikka.

Råttfångaren

Re: Differences between Races Question

Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:52 pm

Hi!
The short answer is that it isn't really supposed to be completely balanced and especially not in a symmetric way.

A changeling is, in a strictly rules-statistic view, simply not as good as an ogro. I wouldn't be to worried about it as the it usually doesn't affect the game as much as you'd think (if standard BP is 32, then that would in theory mean that an ogro can survive one more attack than a human and a changeling one less). I would just be open to the players about it and if someone dislikes the disadvantage they simply don't have to play that particular race or maybe just buff it up through traits :)

Now, for the slightly longer answer. When playing, the ogro is actually often at a disadvantage as they, like other half trolls are outsiders in human society. The same can be true for dwarves and elves to some extent in some places. Basically, the races are a bit more balanced through advantages they get in the game world (not the changelings though, they'll always have a hard time :( ). Another thing to consider is that elves and dwarves usually don't speak Vrok or Rona as their mother tongue meaning that they will usually have to invest in one of those to be able to interact in human society (where most adventures take place). Also, the GM can always throw in some extra trouble or situations for a character based on their description (maybe the thin ice breaks beneath the extremely heavy ogro while the changeling could gett pass it without any trouble? for example) as long as the players feel that it is fair game.

You can also spin the unbalanced stats as being an imperative for playing a certain way, i.e. the changeling is inclined to play smarter, more cautiously and stealthily as they are fragile while the ogro has less to lose by playing less cautiously.

And no, you're right any race can have any exceptional character trait. The player can come up with the how and why if it seems weird, (a genius ogro sounds interesting, what was that like growing up? for example haha)
There may be misunderstandings and errors in the transcriptions

Logiwurm

Re: Differences between Races Question

Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:20 am

Råttfångaren wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:52 pm
Hi!
The short answer is that it isn't really supposed to be completely balanced and especially not in a symmetric way.

A changeling is, in a strictly rules-statistic view, simply not as good as an ogro. I wouldn't be to worried about it as the it usually doesn't affect the game as much as you'd think (if standard BP is 32, then that would in theory mean that an ogro can survive one more attack than a human and a changeling one less). I would just be open to the players about it and if someone dislikes the disadvantage they simply don't have to play that particular race or maybe just buff it up through traits :)

Now, for the slightly longer answer. When playing, the ogro is actually often at a disadvantage as they, like other half trolls are outsiders in human society. The same can be true for dwarves and elves to some extent in some places. Basically, the races are a bit more balanced through advantages they get in the game world (not the changelings though, they'll always have a hard time :( ). Another thing to consider is that elves and dwarves usually don't speak Vrok or Rona as their mother tongue meaning that they will usually have to invest in one of those to be able to interact in human society (where most adventures take place). Also, the GM can always throw in some extra trouble or situations for a character based on their description (maybe the thin ice breaks beneath the extremely heavy ogro while the changeling could gett pass it without any trouble? for example) as long as the players feel that it is fair game.

You can also spin the unbalanced stats as being an imperative for playing a certain way, i.e. the changeling is inclined to play smarter, more cautiously and stealthily as they are fragile while the ogro has less to lose by playing less cautiously.

And no, you're right any race can have any exceptional character trait. The player can come up with the how and why if it seems weird, (a genius ogro sounds interesting, what was that like growing up? for example haha)
Thank you for such a full and helpful response! Sincerely appreciated. The players have decided to be an Ogro, a Korpikalli and a Wildfolk... At the very least they're never going to get paid a full wage and everything is going to be hella expensive!