Starting Magic

DeadChannel0

Starting Magic

Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:11 pm

Do characters have access to spells at creation or are they only gained through play?

Mellekai

Re: Starting Magic

Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:26 pm

If you start with a character from scratch they do not have spell/spell-container.
But if our group is OK with it, and you deliver a good explanation, it can be part of the heritage of the character.

If you use the entry on a more experienced lvl, table at page 23, it seen plausible to me that a wizard comes with spell-containers equipped.

Tezman

Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:44 am

Mellekai wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:26 pm
If you start with a character from scratch they do not have spell/spell-container.
But if our group is OK with it, and you deliver a good explanation, it can be part of the heritage of the character.

If you use the entry on a more experienced lvl, table at page 23, it seen plausible to me that a wizard comes with spell-containers equipped.
I totally agree. I don't think anyone can play a 'wizard' from scratch, but instead you aquire magic as items during play, so an advanced character would likely have access to magic items. I still don't know if the game really caters to players wanting to play a more D&D style magic user but casters from Conan the barbarian or Lord of the Rings fit this style really well.

Mellekai

Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:53 am

@Tezman: Quite a fitting approach: „…casters from Conan the barbarian or Lord of the Rings fit this style…“ :)