Missing rules sections

Tezman

Missing rules sections

Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:45 pm

[edited to sound less obnoxious]
So let me start by saying I really like the intent of the rules and the presentation is great. Are there some rules I'm missing?
  • Parry - This is a BIG part of combat - we get 3x combat cards and Parry is one of them but Parry is never described. I know it can be done and I know if I do it, I can't attack...but it's effect is never mentioned. It doesn't have an index entry.
    Starter cards - these are cool but no where on the website, in the book or on the box does it mention how they are supposed to be used. I did actually find a sentence on the Kickstarter page that mentions them but for anyone who buys a retail copy - that's a cute puzzle right there.
So, apart from that I really like Ruin Masters. I'm looking forward to running my first game!
Last edited by Tezman on Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

tmar

Re: Missing rules sections

Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:55 pm

See page 50. Parry is an action using the melee skill, if the check is succesful you parry the attack.

Luca Cherstich

Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:36 pm

At the beginning it's hard for new characters with one action: they must choose to either parry or attack.
Later on the same character can use EP to buy more actions (check p.33) which he can use to parry or attack.

I know it may seem hard for a beginner-level character...but this is a game inspired by what Old School RPGs used to be.
And that style of play has always been hard for low level characters.

Tezman

Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:26 am

tmar wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:55 pm
See page 50. Parry is an action using the melee skill, if the check is succesful you parry the attack.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I appreciate it - also page number! What I was really digging for was the 'effect' of the parry action, something like 'Parry negates all damage from a successful attack' or 'A successful parry negates any effect that might have accompanied a successful attack regardless of any damage inflicted (such as burning, knocked prone or magic etc)', or 'You reduce any damage from a successful attack to 1 (since it was a successful attack)'. In both foil and sabre fencing, a Parry is used to gain advantage (allowing you to score) though I'm not suggesting that is implied here, it's just another use of the word Parry.

I know I can decide how to implement this rule (very old-school, which I like) but I was surprised there was no rule for it and worried I'd missed something. Given the lack of special abilities in the game, I assume that Parry simply negates the damage so (@tmar) your reply is valid, thank you...as long as the player knows what the word Parry means and can adjudicate the effect.

Cheers.
Last edited by Tezman on Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tezman

Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:36 am

Luca Cherstich wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:36 pm
At the beginning it's hard for new characters with one action: they must choose to either parry or attack.
Later on the same character can use EP to buy more actions (check p.33) which he can use to parry or attack.

I know it may seem hard for a beginner-level character...but this is a game inspired by what Old School RPGs used to be.
And that style of play has always been hard for low level characters.
I figured this was the case, I just wanted someone else's POV since the Parry thing was pushed so hard throughout combat, like I might have missed something. I'm no stranger to fixing and interpreting the rules so this is no problem and I really like the game. Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it.