Skill Values when creating a character

claes

Skill Values when creating a character

Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:06 pm

When creating a character, after you’ve calculated Base Values for your skills, you get points to distribute on the skills. On page 25 it says you have to assign at least 10 points to one of your primary skills, but the secondary must be assigned a minimum of 5 points each. Should the rule say that you must assign 10 points to each primary skill? It makes a bit more sense, I believe.

Mellekai

Re: Skill Values when creating a character

Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:03 am

You refer to this rule section:

„In addition to the base value a player character gets 40% to divide between two
primary skills of the player’s own choice (with at least 10% being assigned to one of them) and 30% to divide between the other four secondary skills (with a minimum of 5% being assigned to each).“

I see this as a deliberate choice by the authors to introduce the players into a more broader approach and investment into the skill of a character during its creation.
The whole Ruin Masters game is coined with the idea that the characters are skilled allrounder.

The forced investment of 10% in one of the two primary skills follows that approach and caps the amount you can put into one primary skill at the same time.

But you are the master of your game. You can of course go a different route. :)

Edit: typo

claes

Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:04 am

Of course, I thought it might be a typo. I feel it's a bit illogical to pick two primary skills and not force you to allocate skill points to them but force you to allocate points to secondary skills.
The forced investment of 10% in one or the two primary skills follows that approach and caps the amount you can put into one primary skill at the same time.
I don't see it caps a skill. You can add 40% to one primary skill and 0 to the other, as the text is worded, right?

Mellekai

Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:18 am

With regards to the two primary skills you have 40% to divide between them.
In one of them you need to put 10% at least.
That leaves you with 30% max for the other primary attribute.

That is what I get from the text as the intention of this rule.
The word divide means for me that you give a share or a unit of (something) to each of a number of recipients.

claes

Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:44 pm

In one of them you need to put 10% at least.
That leaves you with 30% max for the other primary attribute.
I think we have the same idea then; at least 10% on each primary skill, right?

Of course I can have that as an house rule but it would be nice to know if the that was the intention of the authors. Not a big thing as it won't break anything in the game.

Mellekai

Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:49 pm

Yes, you are right there. :)
At least 10 % on each primary skill.
With that you get the intention of the authors right.